Monday, August 20, 2007

My son, do not forget

"My son, do not forget my teachings, but let you heart keep my commandments; for length of days and years of life and abundant welfare will they give you. Let not loyalty and faithfulness forsake you; bind them about your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart, so you will find favor and understanding in the sight of God and man. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own insight. In all ways, acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your paths." Proverbs 3:1-6

After fourteen years of giving every word of advice to my son, I still feel that I haven't done or said enough to help him face the world on his own. So many things run through my brain and I wonder if I was able to communicate it to him....just in case he came across a situation where he would have to make a decision that could possibly change his life. How do you let go?

I was reading today and ran across the scripture above. Did I teach my son the commandments? I know I lived it...but was he watching? Did he recognize the ways of the Lord...or was I just a little too human and wasn't the example that he needed to see?

I remember when I was young and left home. I'm sure my parents wondered about me! I'm sure they were afraid that I never listened or cared about their faith. But I did. It was bound around my neck and written on the tablets of my heart - though I may have not felt or seen them, I know I certainly tried to ignore them, but there it was. And one day tragedy happened and God came. His Word came and melted my heart and His Love came and covered me in such mercy and grace that I was overwhelmed by His compassion. Then I knew. This was Truth. This is what my life was created for. To love and serve God. I wait patiently for that day to see the same for our sons. That day will come. God promised.

No comments: