Saturday, April 7, 2007

Good Friday & Easter

"At noon darkness came over the whole land until three in the afternoon. At three o'clock Jesus cried out in a loud vocie, "Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?" which means, "My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?"...Then Jesus cried out in a loud voice and died." Mark 15:33,34,37

I have always found the term "Good Friday" to be strange words for what was to have happened on that day 2000 plus years ago. Traditionally, Jesus was to have died on "Good Friday" and I assume that was "good" because with His death, life would be given to mankind. The thought is "good" but how he was tortured and hung on a cross, certainly doesn't bring the word "good" to my mind!

I also have been at odds with the tradition of the "church" in how it has become truth that Jesus died on Friday and rose on Sunday. I'm certainly not a theologian, nor a mathematician, but Jesus made it clear that he would die and 3 days and 3 nights later, he would rise (Matthew 12:40). Tradition teaches Jesus died Friday afternoon, buried before sundown, Saturday, then Saturday night, and then He rises on Sunday morning. Two days. Sort of.

When I studied this many years ago, I came to my conclusion of this strange tradition. Since the newly found state/church under Constantine, many traditions and newly created doctrines started to not only be taught, but forced on the people to help control and bring peace...or "fear" to keep people in line and give them reason to live under the newly formed government/religion.

Simple reading of scripture and other materials available from that period, you find that at the time of Passover, an 8 day long festival, Jesus was crucified in the middle of Passover and rose from the dead at the end of it. So many pictures of this throughout Scripture!

So does this matter at how we look at this day? I personally think it does. Bad doctrine is bad doctrine. This particular doctrine has become truth to many...and the only way it has become that, is that certain "religious wise men" have decided that the "Scriptures" are flawed...but after years and years of examining the Scriptures, I see more and more how God doesn't make mistakes in presenting His Truth. I may not understand all of it...but, I believe God is much bigger than man.

Easter Sunday:

"The angel said to the women, "Don't be afraid! I know you're looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He's not here. He has been brought back to life as He said. Come, see the place where He was lying. Then go quickly, and tell His disciples that He has been brought back to life. He's going ahead of them into Galilee. There they will see Him. Take note that I have told you." They hurried away from the tomb with fear and great joy and ran to tell His disciples."
Matthew 28:5-8

There were many witnesses to the fact that Jesus rose from the dead. I believe the witness of the many. I believe them not because they witnessed and knew Jesus personally, but I believe them because now I know Him personally.

He has risen! Hallelujah!

No comments: