Thursday, April 5, 2007

What would Jesus do?

"Always do for other people everything you want them to do for you. That is the meaning of Moses' Teachings and the Prophets." Matthew 7:12

I was talking to a gentleman the other day at our baseball training center. They have been coming for a few weeks and seem to be enjoying the progress they are seeing with the instruction that they are being given. The father was in a talkative mood and as we sat watching one of my trainers teach his son, he started talking about all sorts of things.

Because we have a scripture on our business website, most everyone who walks in the door know that we are believers in Jesus. We don't push our beliefs on anyone...but many that come, after a few weeks will start asking questions about our faith. They seem to see a difference in the way they are treated and feel comfortable that we are not the typical "christians" pushing an agenda.

Anyway, in my conversation with this man, I asked him what he did for a living. He was in construction. A type that mainly folks who have more money than the average would call on.
Without any other question than that, he said an odd thing. He said something like, "It's a great business and I've done well, but one of my biggest problems has been working with all these "born again Christians" with their Lexus, Mercedes, BMW 's that have that fish on the back of their cars. They scream the loudest, always try to get me to come down on the price, and then when I complete the job I have a hard time collecting my money." I knew exactly what he meant. I spent 25 years in the "Christain" music business!

Isn't it sad that this type of conversation has become common among people? Maybe it's not so bad outside the "Bible Belt"...but here, right in the middle of it all, I hear, and witness this type of attitude toward believers in Christ. How sad.

My encouragement to all of us who believe...love your neighbor. Respect them and give them the honor due to them. Show them Jesus.

No comments: