Monday, April 23, 2007

Judas - friend or foe?

"Then Judas, who betrayed him, asked, "You don't mean me, do you, Rabbi?" "Yes, I do," Jesus replied." Matthew 26:25

"One disciple, the one whom Jesus loved, was near him at the table. Simon Peter motioned to that disciple and said, "Ask Jesus whom he's talking about!" Leaning close to Jesus, that disciple asked, "Lord, who is it?" Jesus answered, "He's the one to whom I will give this piece of bread after I've dipped it in the sauce." So Jesus dipped the bread and gave it to Judas, son of Simon Iscariot. Then, after Judas took the piece of bread, Satan entered him. So Jesus told him, "Hurry! Do what you have to do." John 13:23-27

The National Geographic own the rights to the "Gospel of Judas". This was recently released for public reading and viewing and has already had quite a few scholars write books about the text.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/lostgospel/document.htm

I spend a lot of time reading and researching what "scholars and theologians" are saying about the scriptures and other writings relating to the Christian faith. Many of them are so involved in trying to find reason to not believe in Jesus...that at times, it's comically sad to read their thoughts.

http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload/?ml_video=85406

I do understand why it's important to research these writings. Just knowing how "Scripture" was deemed "Scripture" should make us all desire to study and research the writings of the past. Just look at all those "who believe" and we see that our understanding and our translation of "Scripture" is based on how we have been taught to believe...or how we've been taught to translate languages into our own language.

There is one thing that we can count on as we grow in our faith. Jesus didn't leave us completely on our own to figure it all out. Jesus said, "I will ask the Father, and He will give you another helper who will be with you forever. That helper is the Spirit of Truth. The world cannot accept Him, because it doesn't see or know Him. You know Him, because He lives with you and will be in you." John 14: 16-17

I believe God has given us the "Scriptures". I believe the "Spirit of Truth" confirms this in our hearts...even when we don't understand or agree. Certainly Paul and Peter had their arguments!

Won't it be great when Jesus comes and we will all see and understand!

Keep looking to Jesus and trust the "Spirit of Truth".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want not approve on it. I over polite post. Particularly the appellation attracted me to study the unscathed story.

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.